If you are dealing with a DUI charge, you may feel nervous and wonder how your life will change. It is understandable that you feel that way because a DUI is a very serious offense. Whether it is your first or second offense, it is important to talk to an experienced DUI attorney promptly.
Different Ways a DUI Can Impact Your Life
The consequences of a DUI do not stop at jail time. Even after you have served your sentence, a DUI can continue to affect your life. Here are some different ways a DUI conviction can make your life more difficult.
- Fewer Employment Opportunities: If you get convicted of a DUI, you will not have as many job prospects as someone with a clean record. Many employers conduct background checks on job candidates and may be reluctant to hire someone with a DUI conviction, especially if the position involves driving.
- Tougher Child Custody Battle: If you get convicted of a DUI while you are in the middle of a child custody battle, the judge may grant full custody to the other parent. The judge may view you as an irresponsible parent for getting behind the wheel intoxicated.
- Higher Car Insurance Rates: After a DUI conviction, expect your car insurance rates to rise dramatically. Your car insurance company will view you as a risky driver and charge you higher rates because of it.
- Damaged Personal Relationships: Getting convicted of a DUI may also negatively affect your relationships with your friends and family. They might lose trust in you and stop spending time with you. It can be difficult to have your loved ones turn away from you.
How a DUI Attorney Can Help
If you are facing a DUI charge, do not wait to speak to a skilled DUI attorney. Your future is on the line and you do not want to put it at risk. Here are some different ways a lawyer can help you:
- Improve your chances of getting your charges reduced or dismissed.
- Help you get your driver's license back.
- Prevent the police from asking you illegal questions.
- Represent you in court and give you peace of mind.
If you are charged with a DUI, you should set up a meeting with a reputable DUI attorney right away. During the consultation, you can provide details about your case and receive valuable advice on how to proceed.
For more information, reach out to a DUI attorney today.